1. Avoiding the QR Code Trap: What Not to Do
Beware of free online QR code generators!
They may seem convenient, but many hide a risky secret. These services often embed redirect links in the QR codes, sending scanners to unknown servers and potentially breaching GDPR by tracking user data without consent. Plus, if you’re using personal or business storage solutions like Dropbox or Google Drive, you might inadvertently expose more files than intended.
Think of it as accidentally leaving your front door wide open – not ideal!
As shown from Ivanti, there are many QR code security concerns we all need to be aware of.
2. The DIY Safe Route: Manual QR Code Generation
For the more hands-on approach, let’s walk through a safer DIY method using OneDrive and Microsoft Edge (other platforms work too, but we’ll stick with these for simplicity).
- Create a New Account:
Start with a fresh OneDrive account separate from your personal or business ones.
- Set Up Your Folder:
Upload your documents into a new folder. Navigate back so you can see the folder you made, hover over and click the share button. Copy the link that allows “anyone with the link can edit”.
When sharing, make sure it’s only that folder and not the whole drive!
- Generating the QR Code:
- Open an “InPrivate” window in Edge (Incognito). This is in the browser menu button.
- Paste the shared link and navigate to it.
- Right-click on a blank part of the page and select ‘Create QR Code for this page’.
- Copy or download the QR code.
Always test the QR code with a device not linked to the OneDrive or browser account you used.
As you can see, it’s not a bad solution, even if a little fiddly!
Not the best for non-tech savvy users, although good for personal use.
You can find out more for more on setting up a QR code in Edge from Microsoft.
3. The Streamlined Solution: CapjaDocs
For those seeking simplicity and security, CapjaDocs offers a neat all-in-one solution.
Here’s How It Works:
- Create and Populate: Sign up, create a folder in CapjaDocs, and add your documents.
- Download the QR Code: Each folder has its own QR code ready to be downloaded and used.
- Test Before Use: Always scan the QR code before printing to ensure it displays the content correctly.
CapjaDocs is designed for ease of use, security, and maintaining a professional look for your business.
Why not sign up to a free trial and find out why people are using CapjaDocs!